Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Vote!

I thought I'd add a new segment to my blog to make my reed making a little more interesting. I've always loved my reed thread. While some of my teachers and colleagues stick to one or two colours, I prefer some variety. I have many many different colours. I don't like using the large spools most thread comes on; I have an old wooden spool that my first reed thread came on, and it fits very comfortably in my hand. To mix things up without making each reed a different colour (because I'd have to transfer thread to my wooden spool too often), I make batches of reeds in different colours. That way I can tell how long reeds have been in my case. I also catalogue my reeds--a habit I picked up while studying with Peter Cooper. Technically I don't colour-code...one batch does not equal one amount of time. I'll notice an aqua reed and wonder, "when was the last time I bound on an aqua batch?!"...yesterday I said goodbye to two hot pinks that had been hanging on. I just finished my latest batch, burgundy, so the wooden spool is now empty. So vote for your favourite colour, or whichever colour you'd like to see on my next batch! I'll tabulate email votes, too! I'll post the winning colour on my blog (as seen on one of that batch's reeds)! Watch out for the label "thread vote".

Here are your colour choices:

Burgundy, red, emerald green, Loree purple, salmon pink, rose, light pink, neon/hot pink, aqua, golden yellow, periwinkle, teal (polyester), bright blue, neon yellow, neon orange, variegated neon, variegated pastels, variegated purple, variegated green, variegated blue, variegated "fall" colours, red/white/blue.

Most reed thread is made out of nylon, but I recently bought a spool of 100% polyester...mainly because I liked the colour. I must say, I'm not a huge fan of this thread, so if that wins, it will probably be a pretty small batch of reeds.

Good luck to all colours! Vote now!

4 comments:

Karmen said...

I vote for variegated purple - that's my personal favourite variegated thread, although I still have the v.blue and v.green from years ago!

I don't have as many colours as you do, but my most recent batch are 'chocolate' brown.

Ruth said...

Variegated Blue. Hands down, it's the best. However, the last reed I made was red, white, and blue, but that was a year ago.

Patty said...

Hmmm. No BLACK?

I think periwinkle sounds pretty nice. But I'd like a reed if you go with that color. ;-)

Jillian Camwell said...

No black in my collection, amazingly. OK...we have a five-way tie (taking into consideration email votes).