Friday, August 24, 2007

Lazy Friday

Well, most days are lazy when you're pregnant and not even working at the moment. We went out for dinner with friends last night (a new Chinese restaurant in our little town--much better than the fake Chinese food at the local grocery store's deli--sorry, Dave, I know you like it), and although Dave and I shared a dish, we still had half of it left over for lunch today. Dave dropped me off at home and went to school to practice for his recital, so I thought it was only fair that I practice for his recital, too. I brushed my teeth, soaked up a reed, got my oboe together, and I was so full, I could not play. I didn't eat that much at the restaurant. The baby is just taking up a lot of space in there. I'll have to keep that in mind when I go back to symphony rehearsals on September 10. I'll need at least a one hour buffer between my meal and playing.

Instead of playing, I worked on some reeds (arg), and soaked up three pieces of cane that Cooper sent me. It's been years since I've bought shaped cane, so I'll have to see how this works for me. I use Joshua normally, and as that's the only shape I have, I don't know if I'd prefer something different. (Anybody outside the oboe world know what the heck I just said?) Using different cane AND a different shape might be changing too many variables right off the bat, but luckily Cooper sent some gouged, unshaped cane as well. Maybe I'll get around to shaping those today.

It's 10:30am though, and I am sitting here in my pajamas. On the agenda today: finish my book (post-WW2 England setting, lovely book, "The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets" by Eva Rice), open yesterday's tied-on reeds, maybe shape more cane and maybe tie those on, go check out the maternity store in town--I heard there's going to be a diaper service coming to Indianola, which I'm very excited about--go into Des Moines for a few errands, and go to two parties this evening. The first is at the president's (of the college) house, and the second is a party/meeting for volunteers of this year's Iowa Wine Festival, taking place tomorrow in our town square. By the way, several people have told me they've seen Dave and I on television, tasting wine at last year's event. I have yet to see this commercial!! Apparently I'm tilting the glass to smell it, which I suppose is better than a shot of me swigging back an entire taster. There's actually some pretty good wine in Iowa. Not that I'll be trying any this year! I do miss Oregon wineries though. We went to Napa Valley a few years ago, and I think the Oregon wines can hold their own against Californian wines. We just can't find any of them here.

OK, I suppose I should go start my day!

1 comment:

Cooper Wright said...

So!?!? How'd the cane work? :D