Friday, March 02, 2007

Sweet Brahms

(*Not stealing from Patty, but here is my...)

Music Quote of the Day

(Horn solo from Brahms' Symphony No. 1 playing in background)
Vittorio: "Do you like Brahms?"
Charity: "Huh?"
Vittorio: "The music."
Charity: "Oh. Oh yeah--it's got a--it's got a great beat."

From Sweet Charity, 1967

Hahaha!

I'm still working on my Fosse paper/article. I need to get off of this and focus on my lecture-document. I don't know if I've mentioned what this paper is about--I'm analyzing and comparing Fosse's choreography in two numbers from Sweet Charity.

I was browsing online today (actually looking for the character's name for the above quote), and I see that there's a new (2005) production of Sweet Charity, starring Molly Ringwald. Crazy! The national tour starts soon (or has it started already?), and they'll be in Kansas City in July! That's only a few hours away! I want to go!

3 comments:

Patty said...

The tour landed here in San Jose a while ago. I won't tell you what our son had to say unless you want me to; I don't want ot color your opinion one way or the other!

Jillian Camwell said...

oh, I'd be very curious to hear! And out of scholarly interest (and sheer pleasure in seeing different versions those two numbers), I'll probably still go anyway. Do tell!

Patty said...

Well, Jameson said Molly Ringwald can't sing or dance and he didn't care for her acting either. If I recall correctly I believe he even left before the second half (but I might be confusing that with another show). Now we are extremely picky here, and Jameson is hoping to go into musical theatre ... and you know how high school kids can be when it comes to that sort of thing! But the reviewers all seemed to agree.

I don't even know the show, believe it or not. But if it doesn't have a book for me to play who the heck cares?!

;-)