Friday, February 09, 2007

Recital dream

One of these days (years?) I'd like to give a recital--one not associated with a degree. Maybe refining some previously performed pieces, definitely learning some new music. This will have to wait until I'm done with my DMA. The recital would not be like the one in my dream last night.

This was an impromptu recital, being performed at the University of Calgary Rozsa Centre. I never got to the actual recital part of the dream. I was trying to find a practice room to warm up, and I kept looking at the clock--30 minutes until the recital. I found a room, but my friend Tracy was using it to write her dissertation. I then realized I hadn't eaten dinner, and I thought now was a good time to go to a restaurant. I got to the restaurant and joined my former teacher Peter Cooper and his girlfriend (his wife Jenni would probably not like that part of the dream), and I ordered some shrimp. (That's always good before a recital, right?) Clock: 15 minutes until recital. Peter apologized for not advertising the recital very well (apparently that was his job), and he asked me what I'd be playing. I then realized I hadn't rehearsed with my accompanist yet. I also realized I actually hadn't played any of these pieces for over two years, and I would be winging it at my recital. The pieces were: Persichetti's Parable for Solo Oboe, Britten's Six Metamorphoses (also oboe solo), Glick's Sonata for Oboe and Piano (great piece if you don't know it!), and another work I couldn't even recall 5 minutes before the dream recital.

At least I was playing oboe! (Which in my dreams, by the way, I have to hum through to make any sounds.) I woke up before even getting to the hall. I hate it when my dreams don't finish.

I did have a dream once where I was in a dressing room 5 minutes before a concert in Japan with a big orchestra. I didn't play on the first piece, and there was a knock on the dressing room door. I opened it and one of the percussionists told me they needed me to play suspended cymbal on Daphnis and Chloe--right now! I was ushered on stage, where I was given a very quick "crash" course (haha) on playing the cymbal. I then sight-read the concert.

Wait a second...that wasn't a dream...that actually did happen to me. I was on tour with the National Youth Orchestra of Canada. The cymbal player (one of our horn players recruited to play percussion on that piece--extra players needed) was rushed to the hospital with stomach pains. She was ok, but I did experience my worst nightmare. It went well though; apparently I had pretty good technique!

Why the dream? Stress? Well, I do need to finish this paper I'm hoping to publish. Then I need to focus completely on my lecture-document. So why am I sitting here blogging about it all?!

No comments: