Saturday, February 24, 2007

A little practicing, a little Fosse, a lot of blood

That sums up my Saturday! Don't worry...the blood wasn't mine. We watched "The Departed" tonight. I really liked it. Lots of twists. There was a lot of violence and quite the...er, raw language. So if that bothers you (Margaret!), don't watch this. So now I've seen two of the Oscar nominees. I also liked "Little Miss Sunshine", but I didn't think it was a strong Oscar contender.

The weather is brutal yet again. We had freezing rain and snow all day, so the roads are pretty dangerous. Dave cancelled his gig at the Continental tonight (he drives into Des Moines every Saturday night to lead a jazz combo), and we've enjoyed having an evening in together. With recital season gearing up at Simpson, we will have very few nights off until May.

I made four green reeds today and opened up my last red one. Practicing has been interesting recently. This is the first week in a long long time where I've been able to practice every day. While doing my coursework for my DMA in Oregon, I was at the library for so many hours, or reading textbooks at home, or in classes or teaching or in orchestra, but not practicing. Sure I got to it as often as I could, but my practice sessions were focused on repertoire. I would practice for my recital pieces and orchestral works, but it was a rare session when I had the time to actually improve my playing. There is something really satisfying about dedicating your time to the basics. I've noticed an improvement in just these past several days. And that motivates me to keep practicing, even if I can only get in 15 or 30 minutes a day.

I've also really made some strides with my Fosse paper today. I've been essentially converting a term paper into a publishable article for a dance journal. It's been a tough transition. I've been having a hard time making the necessary cuts.

Well, I'm going to enjoy the rest of our evening! It's SNL time. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments: