Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Trial

I've been wanting to join a gym here for the longest time. There is one on the south side of Des Moines (Aspen Athletic Club), but I wondered if I would feel less motivated if I had to drive the 15-20 minutes to get there. This would be nothing in Calgary, I realize, but I'm in Iowa now, where nothing should take more than 5 minutes to drive to...except the malls and any decent restaurants... My point is, that 15 minute drive would end up being an excuse. Lucky for Indianola (and me!), a new gym just opened this year, Anytime Fitness. I've driven by quite a few times thinking I should check it out. It's a lot smaller than Aspen, but they're capping their memberships--once they're gone, they're gone. I started a trial membership the other day, and I love it! I've really missed working out. Some of you may recall the lovely experiences I had at the Simpson College "gym". Think "sweat"...not yours. When I was desperate for a work-out, I'd go to Simpson. I just can't do it anymore. "Anytime" has all new machines, controlled music volume, and individual televisions on every machine! It's like working out in the first-class section on an intercontinental flight!

The only catch is the expense. It's not bad, especially if I commit to a two year membership, but it does mean that something else in our budget will have to move out. Sorry cats, you'll get generic food from now on. Kidding! Actually, Dave suggested axing the Napster membership. I'm willing to do this, but it presents a paradox: I get my work-out music from Napster. Hmmm. We have a lot of CDs, but they are mainly classical and jazz. My pop music dates back to the 90s, and I don't think I could work out to the "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack.

Therefore, I'm calling out to my friends: send me your mixed CDs of work-out music! This would fulfill your New Year's resolution to reach out to friends in need.

(That reminds me--I need to work on mine to be less manipulative.)

What do you think? Should I go for it?

1 comment:

Karmen said...

Go for it!!!