Saturday, March 11, 2006

In the news...

Slobodan Milosevic has died. He was on trial at the Hague for war crimes. Whenever a villain dies in custody, I feel a sense of relief but also a little injustice. Does one who'd orchestrated genocide deserve to die the same fate? or to die of natural causes? I've never taken a stand on capital punishment, but my reaction of anger to Milosevic's death has made me realize two things. 1) I care about politics (I'm shocked too--who knew?), and 2) I believe in justice (not a shocker). I don't mean that I would necessarily sentence him to die if I was on a jury, but the man did not even get sentenced. The article I read said,

Milosevic’s death will be a crushing blow to the tribunal and to those who were looking to establish an authoritative historical record of the Balkan wars.

Though the witness testimony is on public record, history will be denied the judgment of a panel of legal experts weighing the evidence of his personal guilt and the story of his regime.
Full MSN Article

Stalin died of a stroke, Hitler committed suicide. The world is relieved when these murderers die, but history is in a sense unfulfilled. Will Saddam Hussein die a similar fate, or will he live to the end of his trial? I wonder what they'd think, knowing that they aren't going out in a blaze of glory. Maybe a simple snuffing out of their lives is actually a fitting end. But who am I to say?

No comments: