Thursday, December 08, 2005

Flash from the past

Who here remembers Niagara Falls? Not that largish waterfall in Ontario, but the great piece for wind ensemble by Michael Daugherty. The University of Calgary Wind Ensemble played it during our WASBE year of 1998-99. We recorded the piece, and it was definitely one I thought I'd never play again.
Are you with me?

Well, here are two interesting (I think) tidbits:

1) Michael Daugherty is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The CRSO plays quite a few of his pieces.
2) I was paid (I won't say how much; it will just make it look like I make a lot of money) to play "Niagara Falls" for one rehearsal and the concert with the Simpson College Wind Ensemble!

The rehearsal was yesterday, and as the conductor gave the downbeat, I flashed back to the good times we had with GDP. I played oboe at WASBE and English horn for this performance (tonight). Shaun, remember playing this part? I remember our synthesized organ (played by John MORGAN ... coincidence?), the cheesy haunted house vibrato of the saxes (intentional), and my inability to count in certain sections (unintentional). It was nice to be able to redeem myself. Next year we should all get together and play the Maslanka!

It's funny how things like this pop up when you least expect them! I think I'll get out the recording and revisit my 20-year-old self.

1 comment:

bluemoon said...

The thing I remember the most from that piece is that at WASBE, my last screach (I mean, note) was supposed to be a high C (on piccolo), and for some reason, my piccolo decided it would be much more fun to play a high B. That's right, you heard me, it was all my picc's fault, I had nothing to do with it. It's a good thing that at that frequency, no-one can really hear the difference between a B and a C anyways!

Good times, those were!
M.