Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Practice like you may have an audition coming up

Next on my horizon: Mary Poppins, the musical. Rehearsals start Tuesday. I've been watching the DVDs that came with the advance book, and it's been helpful to see how the conductor takes certain things. Of course, I was hoping that I'd get to see the actual show on the DVD, but that wouldn't be practical. After playing "Wicked", I was able to go see the show in Kansas City. I may have to check out Mary Poppins' next stop.

Anyway, in addition to this, I have a couple auditions in the near future. One is for Des Moines Metro Opera, English horn, and as I'm blogging this, I realized I haven't requested the audition packet yet. Note to self!! The other is a potential audition, and I have no idea what the material will be until after the new year. So I get to have some *fun* going through some principal oboe excerpts, practicing the biggies in case they show up on the list. (And it would be very short notice for the audition.) So, just for fun, list your top (principal) oboe audition excerpts. Here are mine, in no particular order:

1) Tombeau (all mvts.)
2) La Scala
3) La Mer (fast)
4) Brahms Violin Concerto, 2nd mvt.
5) Beethoven 3, slow
6) Pulcinella
7) Schubert Great C Major, slow
8) Mendelssohn 3, fast
9) Mozart Oboe Concerto (darnit)
10) Tchaikovsky 4, slow

No comments: