Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Book Club

I was really happy to join a book club that one of my neighbours belongs to. There are 12 or 13 of us, and I like that there is a large age span (at 29, I think I'm the youngest, and there is at least one woman in her 60's) and difference in backgrounds. The conversations are always interesting, even if not everyone has finished the book! Every August, there is "Nomination Night". Of course, my first year in the club, I won't be able to attend--I'll be in Calgary. It's supposed to be really fun. Some people put on skits, and others come up with creative ways to present their suggestions. There are different categories of books: Children's/Young Adult, Fiction, Non-fiction, Classics...I think that's it.

I've been encouraged to nominate, even though I won't be there. Since Dave is out on the town tonight, I've spent a couple hours putting together my nomination. A while back I made a list of about 25 books I want to read...I thought it would be best to narrow it down for my nomination. I made a "menu" from a made-up book restaurant ("Booker: The restaurant for those with a hunger to read!"...cheesy, I know...if anyone has a better name, feel free to comment!), and I have two books per category.

Appetizers (Young Person's Fiction): The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (I'm not sure if that's really "young person's", but I want to read it!).

Salads/Healthy Options (Nonfiction): Brunelleschi’s Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture by Ross King and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris (which I've read and thought was a good way of introducing my favourite author to the group--NOBODY from the group has read anything by him! Crazy!!)

Main Course (Fiction--very VERY difficult to narrow down my list!): Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Dessert (Classics): Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust (I'm not sure this book club is up to Proust though) and Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier (it's been years since I've read it, but I absolutely loved it way back when).

Each selection was followed by a description and a summary of some reviews off of Amazon. I'm thinking of adding a wine pairing to each selection. Does anyone have any other suggestions for books? What are you reading right now? I'll add your recommendations to my list of 25+! Next on my list: David Sedaris' newest book, When you are engulfed in flames. Can't wait! (Just keep me out of the library until I've read it, because I'll see a book I like and get distracted. "Ooh! Free read!")

p.s. Happy 500th post to me!! (And no mention of oboe...representational of my life right now...)

1 comment:

Patty said...

I'm horrible at recommending things. The minute someone asks I draw a blank! Sigh.

Hmmm ... pause ...

I remember reading Joy Kogawa's book years ago, Obasan. I really should read it again before recommending it, I suppose, but I do remember being quite moved by it.

I love Robertson Davies. The one dealing with the production of an opera was so darn fun ... it's the third in a trilogy. Lyre of Orpheus is the title. I'm guessing, though, that you've already read that...?

Gee. Did I just recommend two Canadians? How 'bout that?