Saturday, June 09, 2007

Anxiety dream

Why?? The degree is done, so there shouldn't be any anxiety there (maybe remnant--like the other night when I had to finish elementary school math before getting my doctorate). No big performances coming up, so why this dream?

...*insert dreamy music here*...

I have rehearsal in 15 minutes. I can't find my car. I finally walk around an entire parking garage, seeing all the other musicians walking to rehearsal. I'm so close. I walk out the entrance, and I have my oboe in my hand, but I see the principal oboist and she (it was Kelly in my dream) reminds me that I need my English horn. Rehearsal has started, and I'm not in my chair. I'm going to be fired.

I wake up in a cold sweat. Those are the worst kind of dreams to have. Especially since, while I'm late for most things in life, I'm never late for a rehearsal...well except for extreme circumstances. Car breaking down on the way--oh wait, that was a concert. I called them, let them know I was on my way, and since it was a pops concert where I didn't play for a half hour (thank you, English horn), I slipped on stage pretty much unnoticed.

I digress. Has any musician ever had a wonderful music dream? Where everything goes your way, your reeds are perfect (my 'dream' reeds are literally pencils and I have to hum through them), and you sound like a super-star? I certainly have not.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I haven't been music librarian of a symphony for probably 15 years now. I still have the horrible dreams. I have a feeling they will never go away. Hope you don't have the same problem with yours!