Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Happy birthday, Mom!


I hope you have a great day! Here's a picture of my mom and poor little Max with his cone. All the other dogs made fun of him. He's ok now. My parents just got back from Peru; it sounds like there was at least as much Bridges family drama as last year's trip to Egypt.

I hope the weather in Calgary is nicer than here. How did it go straight from summer to it's-not-cold-enough-to-turn-the-heat-on-but-too-cold-to-stay-in-the-house-without-slippers-and-a-sweater weather?

We started up Cedar Rapids rehearsals last night. First up: 4th movement of Pines of Rome. Straight into the fire! My solo went well, although I played it pretty straight. The last time I played this piece, it was on tour with NYO. I'd played 2nd oboe (of course sitting next to Karin playing EH...she's now the new 2nd oboist with the Vancouver Symphony!), and the conductor wanted it pretty straight-laced. Last night, our new conductor, Timothy Hankewich, asked me to experiment with it a bit these next couple of weeks up to the concert. We played it again, and I got to play around with it a little bit. I'll have some fun this week. I really like Tim's conducting. And man, did he ever take the first movement fast! I've never even heard a recording that fast in places. Very exciting! We're also playing Elgar's Concert Overture "In the South", which is a great piece. I'd never played it before.

Reading some Renaissance history today...good times. I teach later today, but only two students as one cancelled. Let's top it off with quiche and an episode of Lost (Season 2...catching up!) Exciting day.

No comments: